Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Tryst with SCRABBLE

While shopping at WESTSIDE last weekend, we came across SCRABBLE in the TOYS section. Jassi seemed to be overwhelmed. He was interested in buying but was discouraged by the price tag, 600 bucks is pretty expensive for a board game. Realising this, I offered him to contribute half the amount, to which he agreed.

I had never played SRCABBLE in my entire life, but then theres always a first time. A new venture always excites me. After a exhausting day spent shopping and a miserable movie we reached our place at 2 a.m. in the morning. Though very tired, I still had the energy to have a look at our new venture, the excitement of doing something new is always energizing.

Three of us viz. myself, Jassi and Chhotu began playing. Jassi was pretty much conversant with the rules, he explained us the rules of the game and soon we were off the mark. Scrabble seems to be a very novel way of improving the vocabulary, if you play it in the sense of learning something new everyday. But for Chhotu it seemed a way to compete. His mindset was more on scoring points than learning, which I already made him clear with.

All of us were so engrossed in the game, that we hardly noticed the clock ticking by. It was 4:30 in the morning when the game got over.

Henceforth we have been playing the game daily. Ever since I have discoverd the new rules, learning has taken a backseat, scoring points has been the manifest.

This enthusiasm is always shortlived, it will subside at somepoint of time, then nobody will every be interested in even touching the SCRABBLE BOARD. The same happened with RUBIK's CUBE.

I was so enthralled by the game, the next day I went and bought another one from CROSSWORD's at PYRAMID. But this one for my father and sister.

When father had a stroke, he had faced temporary memory loss, though he has recovered, he still has problems recollecting words sometimes. Though I am not very much sure, but I had a strong feeling that SCRABBLE will help him in some sense and 600 bucks isn't much enough if hes getting some benefit from it. Well I haven't presented to him yet, but will do so when I go home for the weekend. This one would be a weekend surprise for him.

No comments: